How to represent an ontology structure???? What to do with UML Packages???

How to represent an ontology structure???? What to do with UML Packages???

MartyStache
Hi!

I would like to retain some of the structure of a UML model I am converting to an Ontology, but not 'as part' of the ontology (meaning, they are not classes) so that I can, if I choose, to load it up in a tree view and have the elements of the ontology organized in the 'containers' so that they are categorized. I'm not looking at the packages as classes per say, and maybe I should but, I wanted to see if anyone else has faced this issue and how it was solved.

Does OWL 2 have a construct/declaration for such a thing?
Is this something I can manage in namespaces??? For example, I've mocked up what I'm thinking, which could be ENTIRELY the wrong approach. Everything in between the base URL and the # are how the model is organized in packages in a UML model:

"www.onto.com/Base/DataTypes#Classfication" <! -- datatype that is a type of an Equipment DataProperty
"www.onto.com/Base/Core#Equipment"
"www.onto.com/Base/Core#EquipmentContainer"
"www.onto.com/Base/Network#NetworkNode" <! -- Refers to a piece of equipment

The above example gets across essentially what I'm trying to represent, meaning the packages aren't classes, but at the same time I can parse out the 'structure' if needed and not 'muddy' the ontology.
I'm thinking though that with the above approach, I'm creating an ontology of ontologies, lol...

Any thoughts on how to handle are greatly appreciated!

Re: How to represent an ontology structure???? What to do with UML Packages???

You can create several ontologies, each corresponding to a different file. This corresponds to your structure, e.g. www.onto.com/Base/DataTypes is an ontology, www.onto.com/Base/Core another, and so on.

I think you need to try it, and things will become clearer with more experience.

Re: How to represent an ontology structure???? What to do with UML Packages???

MartyStache
Oh, btw, I found a way to solve this by creating an AnnotatedProperty called path:

In it i put the path of the item in the UML Model e.g., Package/Package/Package

So that way the Class carries the information and the structure of the ‘model’ doesn’t affect the structure of the Ontology