connection to triplestore

Emilio
Hello,
I'm developing a web app based on Semantic Web technologies for a research project. I would like to connect my app to a triplestore to manage data on the basis of an ontology. Does anyone have experience in connecting an owlready2 application to triplestores like GraphDB, Start Dog, or any other?

Any comment/suggestion is very welcome.
Thanks,

Emilio

Re: connection to triplestore

Hello,

Currently, Owlready support only SQLite3 or PostegresQL -- the quadstore is implemented in Python over the SQL database.

I highly recommend SQLite3 -- performance are better than with Postgres.

Best regards,
Jean-Baptiste Lamy
MCF HDR, Laboratoire LIMICS, Université Paris 13

Re: connection to triplestore

Emilio
Thank you very much for your comments.

I'm not very much familiar with the technical aspects of ontology-based programming. I'm a bit confused concerning the use of either SQLite3 or PostegreesQL: aren't they relational databases? I understood that OWL ontologies are mainly meant to be used in tandem with RDF triple stores.

Regards,

Re: connection to triplestore

Hello,

SQLite3 and PostegreesQL  are relational databases, yes, but Owlready turns them into a quadstore.

Ontology-oriented programming requires many small call to the quadstore (each call to object.property requires a call). Thus we need a very fast response time with low overload. SQLite3 is is very interesting from this point of view: as it runs in the same process, there is no network overload.

I searched for server-less quadstore last year, but I did not find any.