Separating ontology classes and individuals

Separating ontology classes and individuals

gopiballava
Hi,

I've just started working with owlready2, and it's great - thanks for all the work you're putting in to this.

I'm only just getting in to ontology design, so I apologize if my questions are obvious.

I'm designing an ontology in WebProtégé. It has a handful of individuals, which I use for unit testing purposes.

The production system will have a server working with the ontology and lots of individuals (representing various sensors and microcontrollers around my house).

So: What I essentially want (I think) is separate storage for the Classes and Individuals.

I want to be able to keep adding and changing the class design in the ontology, along with the unit test sample set of individuals. Every so often, I want to update the running system with the latest classes from the base ontology, but keeping the existing individuals.

Any suggestions for how to do this?

(If the answer involves manipulating sqlite3 data directly, and copying entities with certain characteristics between different data stores, I should be up for doing that - I don't understand ontologies very well, but I'm happy with SQL and data storage and processing and such. I just don't want to try doing something that's the wrong way to do this)

(Also, I know this is the wrong mailing list, but there's a way to programmatically pull an ontology from WebProtégé, I'd love to do that - don't think there is)

Thanks,

gopi.

Re: Separating ontology classes and individuals

I think you should use two ontologies: one with the class and the other with the individuals for testing. I commonly do this.

Jiba