Can you demo how to use Hermit reasoner for Ontology?

Hao

Can you demo how to use Hermit reasoner for Ontology?

Hao
I have a set of ontologies downloaded from BioPortal. To use them, I want to apply Hermit reasoner on those are asserted-only ontologies to get the inferred version, so I can work with.

Could you give a hint how to check whether an ontology is asserted or inferred ,and apply reasoner if it is not reasoned yet?

Thank you.

Re: Can you demo how to use Hermit reasoner for Ontology?

As far as I know, all ontologies are distributed without inferrence (= asserted only) and most tools (including Protégé) do not permit to save inferrences (however, Owlready can do that). So you can assume that your ontologies are asserted-only.

After loading the desired ontology(ies), you use the sync_reasoner() function for performing reasoning.

By default, Owlready places all inferred facts in a special ontology, named "http://inferrences/". Consequently, they are not saved when you save the ontology in an RDF/XML file.
However, you can place the inferred facts in the ontology of your choice, as follows:

with ontology_that_will_contain_inferrences:
    sync_reasoner()

Using this syntax, all facts inferred by Hermit will be asserted in the given ontology.

See the doc for more details : http://owlready2.readthedocs.io/en/latest/reasoning.html
Hao

Re: Can you demo how to use Hermit reasoner for Ontology?

Hao
Thank you very much. That's really helpful.

Also from other post, I saw you plan to add more user customization to Hermit reasoner, such as reasoning based on class type, that's very relavent to what I want to do too.

Just wondering, when do you think it will be ready and any docs on that too?

Thank you again.

Re: Can you demo how to use Hermit reasoner for Ontology?

I'm sorry, but this is still at the stage of a project. Nothing is implemented yet.